Usually, the first thing that comes to mind when you hear “web analytics” is streams of data and SEO. That’s because everyone is concerned about getting traffic. But traffic is just the first step towards building a successful website. One of the most important aspects of any website is whether visitors actually do what you want them to do. Does your website design manage to guide users to the right information, so that they don’t leave? Do they click on the action buttons? And more importantly, would your website perform better in its goals, if you made even minor structure and design changes. CrazyEgg is the simple heat map tool that gives you the answers to all these questions.
Put a CrazyEgg on it!
CrazyEgg generates a heat map of your website – a collective visual representation of every click a visitor makes on your site. While you can get traffic source details through other tools such as Google Analytics, with CrazyEgg you can see how all your visitors are interacting with your web pages. All you need to do is just add the CrazyEgg code on the pages you want to track and wait to gather enough data. You can afterwards review the results in the form of heat, click and scroll maps outlining the behavior of visitors on your website. This information helps you learn things like:
- Do people easily find and click on your sign up buttons?
- Are they looking for a link where there isn’t one?
- Did you put an important link where many people will miss to see it?
- Are there elements on your site that you never considered very important, but your visitors actually click a lot?
As you know at SiteGround we like to test everything ourselves first – CrazyEgg made no exception. We’ve been using it for a couple of months now and we had some great insights from day one. Here are some real-life examples to demonstrate its benefits:
- Improving usability by simply changing bullets’ icons – initially, the features on our hosting pages were arranged in bullets, using an icon with a “Plus” sign. With CrazyEgg, we realized this leads many visitors to believe they were click-able (as we say), which in fact they were not. Pretty annoying.
Right away, we changed the bullet icons to a “check mark“, making the user experience on these pages far more intuitive.
- Increasing conversion by adding action buttons below the page fold – the first design version of our application hosting pages featured only one action button in the upper fold of the page. With CrazyEgg we noticed that since it was positioned too high on the page, it ended up hidden once the user scrolls down to read the information. By adding action buttons on the lower fold of the page as well, we were able to increase the percentage of people who click on them more than twice.
- And some unexpected insights – we now know whose picture you like best on our About us page – No, seriously.
These are just a few examples of how CrazyEgg helped us improve the usability of SiteGround.com. And it can do the same for your own website. Seeing an analytics tool that great, simple and affordable (plans start at only $9.00/mo), we were quick to team up with them to offer an extended trial of their services. So now all SiteGround clients can sign up and get access to CrazyEgg analytics free for the first 90 days.
More Posts from the same Category - Hosting service news:
- Time to Say Goodbye to SSL Version 3.0
- Major Bash Vulnerability Fixed on All Servers
- Upcoming Chicago Data Center Migration