Today Joomla! has launched a new version of its software – 2.5. As some of you may guess from the number 2.5, this new version is considered a major release and marks the end of a whole cycle for Joomla. So, we took some time to test and review the new Joomla and see how it will work on our servers. The good news is that it is fully compatible and we can say for sure that it works on our hosting accounts flawlessly!
If you have an existing Joomla site we strongly recommend that you upgrade to the latest version. It has some improvements and new security fixes. More importantly, however, Joomla 1.7 has reached the “end of life” period and within a month from today, it will no longer be supported by the Joomla community.
For those of you who want to start a new site – Joomla 2.5 is a great beginning. You can perform a manual installation by following the instructions in our How to Install Joomla 2.5 Tutorial.
One of the most important changes in the latest Joomla versions is that you can upgrade without having to re-create your template or to wait until new version of all your extensions is released. The improved compatibility makes the upgrade fast and painless process.If you remember the transition from Joomla 1.5 to 1.6 and how templates needed to be fixed after the upgrade, you will know why this is considered a great benefit.
Some of the interesting new features worth mentioning in the Joomla 2.5 are as follows:
- Joomla update notification button: You can now see if there is a new Joomla version available right after you login to your administrative area. There are two buttons that show you whether your application and the installed extensions are up to date.
- Additional databases support: You can now run Joomla on a few additional database engines including Microsoft SQL Server / Windows Azure and PostgreSQL server.
- Core captcha support: Now you can easily implement human verification in your website. Joomla 2.5 has core captcha support and you no-longer need to browse for 3rd party extensions unless you want to add an additional layer of security to your pages.
- User notes: If you have a website with multiple authors and users you will definitely appreciate this function. You can now add notes to all of your users and include all sort of information in them – text, images, video, etc.
- Who’s online filters: Joomla administrators can now show only the online users from a specific group if they want to. This can come really handy if you want to display the available administrators online for example.
For a full list of new features visit the official Joomla 2.5 release note and check the “What’s new” section.
Last but not least, don’t forget to take a look at our our Joomla 2.5 compatible resources:
Joomla 2.5 Templates (compatible with Joomla 1.7 and Joomla 1.6 too)
Joomla 2.5 Extensions (compatible with Joomla 1.7 and Joomla 1.6 too)
Product Development – Technical