The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and its sister bill Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) have become a very hot topic for all Internet businesses and users. We have already firmly stated SiteGround position against SOPA back in November and have been actively using our social media channels to raise awareness about the issue. In short: we are against those bills, because we believe they have the potential to take away the most important things we love Internet for – the freedom of speech and the possibilities to express oneself creatively. For more detailed explanation why many people support such a position we recommend the video below:
Latest SOPA developments are encouraging with the White House firmly against and the main architect of the bill backing down. However, there is an important voting in the Senate scheduled on 24th of January and we believe that more people should become aware that Internet, as they know it, is facing a serious change, more people should care and more people should express a strong position built on principles. Recently we have seen the topic being turned into a money making technique by several other hosting companies. We believe that this is dangerous as it makes their position against look driven by profit seeking rather than principles and thus makes it less valuable. We won’t ask you to buy hosting with a “NOSOPA” coupon code. Instead we encourage you to take a minute to think about the bills, and if you find them as inappropriate as we do, to join us in opposing them in our campaign STOP CENSORSHIP.
Enough is enough. So now you already question what should I do to join? It is very simple:
1. Put our “Stop Censorship” stamp on your website showing your opinion and keep it there as long as possible. To embed our campaign stamp, use the code below:
<a style="width:125px;height:130px;display:block;" href="http://blog.siteground.com/stop-censorship/" ><img src="http://www.siteground.com/img/stop_censorship/stop-censorship.png" alt="Stop Censorship"/></a>
2. If you are running a Joomla website, we have also developed a plugin that will let you easily place our STOP CENSORSHIP stamp on your site. Download and install the plugin from here.
3. Be active in social media in regards of PIPA voting and spread the word of your support. Here’s a post we propose in regards with the comming voting that you can post over your social media channels:
Dear Senators, web users are against PIPA. Represent us on Jan 24! I join my host SiteGround #stopcensorship campaign http://is.gd/RtODO8
Or simply click on the buttons below for direct posting over your channels:
There are several other voices and campaigns against SOPA that we support and recommend checking them out too:
- A massive web strike is organized for 18th of January against SOPA by Fight for the Future and if you choose to join our campaign we encourage you to have your opinion posted on the same day
- Make censored posts and have people that want to read them call the Senate
- Add anti-sopa ribbon to your WordPress site
- Tweet to increase cPanel donation for the Electronic Frontier Foundation
As always, thank you for your continued support! I am confident that together we can stop the bills and save the Internet as we know it!